Introduction to Ballito and it’s Charm
Discover the magic of Ballito, an enchanting town nestled in South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal province. Home to approximately 40,000 residents, Ballito enchants visitors with its radiant beaches, mesmerizing Indian Ocean views, and vibrant culture. Initially a sugarcane farming community, it has transformed into a sought-after holiday resort featuring an assortment of hotels, malls, and golf courses. It’s unique location, from Zimbali in the south to the Tugela River in the north, coupled with stunning subtropical climate, and frequent bottlenose dolphin sightings, lend a unique charm to Ballito, making it the perfect blend of thrill and leisure.
Dive into the captivating beauty of local fauna and flora that inspire residents and tourists alike. Clear shallow waters frequently visited by Bottlenose Dolphins, and a vast array of local fauna proves it’s not just a town – it’s a paradise.
|Skyline Coffee Shop
|A popular spot for both locals and tourists known for its high-quality coffee and delicious baked goods. It’s a perfect spot for those looking for a café to work or unwind.
|Explore the Dolphin Coast
|Ballito is part of the famous Dolphin Coast, seeing its fair share of these playful creatures and ideal for a day of exploration and photography.
|Sangweni Tourist Information Office
|Visitors can get more information about activities and attractions in Ballito at this office, located conveniently at the corner of Link Road and Ballito Drive.
|Enjoy Free Activities
|Things To Do In Ballito & Salt Rock” for inspiration on budget-friendly adventures in and around Ballito.
|Visit the Imbizo Gallery
|Part of the mall and shopping category, this is a major attraction as well. The founder and coordinator of The Heritage Arts Festival, the premier arts festival in KwaZulu Natal is Kizo, providing publicity and revenue.
|Ballito is teeming with activities aimed at families for their entertainment, with a scope of wheelchair-friendly options as well.
Note: Ballito offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy. From parks and gardens to scenic flights, there is something for everyone. One of the popular attractions is Holla trails mountain bike, which offers thrilling trails for biking enthusiasts. In addition to that, there are also water sports and many other options to choose from. Whether you’re seeking an adrenaline-pumping adventure or a leisurely stroll along beautiful trails, Ballito has it all.
Top 30 Things to Do in Ballito: Must-Visit Places in Ballito
1. Thompson’s Bay
Thompson’s Bay, located north of Ballito, is a top-rated tourist destination. It’s nestled in a protected cove, creating a calm and serene environment, shielded from harsh winds. Its most distinguishing attribute is Charlie’s pool, a famous Ballito tidal pool with warm waters, ideal for a relaxing dip. Adventurous tourists can head to the ‘Hole in the Wall,’ a valuable treasure trove of coves and limestone cliffs.
- Address: 9 Rock Lane, located in Shaka’s Rock on the Dolphin Coast
- Phone: (032) 525-4555
- Things to do: Swim in the serene waters of Charlie’s pool, Adventure through the ‘Hole in the Wall’, Picnicking on the picturesque beach, and Trek from Thompson’s Bay to Willard Beach
- Recommended for: Adventurers, Romantics, Families, Solo travelers, and Nature lovers
- Recommendations: The beach lacks restaurants, hence carrying a personal picnic basket is advisable for a full day of fun and adventure.
Thompson’s Bay, with its mix of tranquility and adventure elements, perfectly caters to a wide spectrum of tourists, be it solo, families, or romantic couples. The stunning Westbrook Beach, one of the highlights of the area, is a must-visit to experience Ball Ito’s untouched natural beauty.
Perfection in every way. Immaculately tidy, super friendly people, perfect tidal pool, perfect waves and perfect sand. Love love it.Sharon V at TripAdvisor
2. Sugar Rush Park
Sugar Rush Park, located on Esenembe Road, is a picturesque family-friendly tourist spot that provides a range of activities for both adventure seekers and those looking for relaxation. Situated conveniently along N2, the park offers easy access for tourists who want to experience a vibrant array of offerings in one place. From outdoor adventures to exciting activities, a beauty spa, and local performances, Sugar Rush Park ensures that there is something to suit all ages and interests. For those interested in horseback riding, the nearby Redwoods Riding School provides horse riding lessons, adding to the unique experience that Sugar Rush Park offers visitors.
- Address: Esenembe Road, situated in Ballito on the Dolphin Coast of South Africa.
- Phone: +27 60 997 9996
- Things to do: Engage in outdoor activities such as mountain bike trails and park runs, Visit the expansive playground and bike track for kids, Experience extreme sports at the pump track and half-pipe , Visit the Laser Rush, petting zoo, and the reptile park, Relax at the Tuwa beauty spa, and Enjoy local performances and dine at the onsite restaurant
- Recommended for: Families with kids, adventure and extreme sports enthusiasts, relaxation seekers
3. Willard Beach
Willard Beach, a picturesque seaside town, offers the perfect vacation getaway. Its reputation as a pristine Blue Flag beach assures visitors of the highest standards of safety, cleanliness, and environmental stewardship. With a pulsating surfer culture and endless leisure activities, from charming beachside picnics to thrilling marine exploration, visitors are bound to have a memorable seaside town beach experience at Salmon Bay Beach that blends adventure playground and relaxation perfectly. This stunning beach is known for its tranquil waters and scenic beauty, making it the ideal destination for beach lovers seeking a serene and picturesque escape.
- Address: 102C Compensation Beach Rd in Ballito, Dolphin Coast, South Africa is 4399.
- Phone: (032) 946 1997
- Activities: Surfing, Scuba diving, Swimming, Beachside picnic, Sundowners, Jogging
- Recommended for: Tourists seeking a balance between exciting water activities and laid back beach relaxation.
- Recommendation: As an essential hub for surfer culture and marine exploration, Willard Beach is particularly recommended for those comfortable with exploring the water. Don’t miss the beachside seafood at nearby restaurants and the local Willards bay beach events.
4. Ballito Junction Regional Mall
Ballito Junction Regional Mall is the ultimate shopping mall for family destination in the neighborhood. Offering an incomparable blend of shopping, entertainment, and dining, it is the perfect place for tourists and locals alike. The mall hosts over 200 seamlessly curated stores across its three levels, letting you indulge in an unparalleled shopping spree with offerings spanning from clothing, beauty, tech, to household items. It also boasts high-end restaurants, delightful delis, and charming cafes serving a broad spectrum of global cuisines. Moreover, for those looking for unique souvenirs and gifts, the mall even features a curated curio shop. With top-tier security, ample parking, and innovative design for easy navigation, the Mall makes your shopping experience effortless and enjoyable.
- Address: Leonora Drive, Ballito, Dolphin Coast. Easy access off the N2 Highway
- Phone: (032) 586 1130
- Activities: Shopping, Dining, Entertainment
- Recommended for: Shopping enthusiasts, food lovers, holidaymakers
- Recommendation: Ensure to visit the Mall’s state-of-the-art entertainment center for an immersive movie experience. Don’t forget to explore their vast gastronomic offerings, especially for global cuisine lovers. Finally, indulge in your shopping cravings with a visit to the high-quality brands available.
5. Monkeyland KZN
Monkeyland KZN stands as a must-visit destination for tourists with an interest in wildlife and conservation. Its unique approach transcends the norms of regular zoos – it is designed as a multi-specie, free-roaming primate sanctuary involving a variety of monkey species native to regions beyond Southern Africa. The immersive experience, facilitated by knowledgeable tour instructors, allows an up-close interaction with monkeys in an environment resembling their natural habitat. Additionally, Monkeyland KZN is surrounded by a stunning mangrove forest, adding to its raw natural beauty. It is also an eye-opener towards the challenges these primates face. Its unique combination of education, wildlife interaction, and the enchanting mangrove forest make it an unbeatable tourist spot.
Here is the table showcasing monkeys and their primate cousins at Monkeyland KZN entertainment centre in Ballito, South Africa.
|Known for their long limbs and prehensile tail, spider monkeys are highly agile and primarily dwell in the upper canopy of the rainforest.
|Capuchin monkeys are intelligent and versatile, often using tools to forage for food in the wild. They are recognized for their distinctive appearance with a cap-like crown on their heads.
|These small monkeys are characterized by their sociable nature and vibrant fur colors. They inhabit tropical forests and are very agile, leaping from branch to branch.
|Vervet monkeys are known for their distinct blue scrotums (in males) and their adaptability to various habitats. They live in groups and are skilled at vocal communication.
|Baboons are large, ground-dwelling monkeys with powerful builds. They live in troops and have a complex social structure. They are omnivores and highly adaptable.
These monkeys can be found at Monkeyland KZN, an animal sanctuary in Ballito, South Africa. For more detailed information, you can visit their website Monkeyland KZN.
- Address: Salt Rock Rd in Dolphin Coast, South Africa
- Phone: +27 32 004 0178
- Activities: Observing a variety of monkey species, forest traverse, educational tours about primates
- Recommended for: Nature enthusiasts, wildlife lovers, families, tourists interested in conservation efforts
- Recommendations: Ensure to reserve some time for the forest canopy stroll on the suspension bridge. Engage with the tour guides for a holistic understanding of the primates. Consider this visit as a contribution to a bigger cause, thereby enhancing the sanctity of your trip.
6. Ballito Lifestyle Centre
The Ballito Lifestyle Centre is a haven for tourists looking for a distinctive shopping experience, including a curio shop. With its mix of high-end boutiques, surfing shops, restaurants, and delis, the center offers a chance to explore a blend of luxury and local culture. Its unique ‘street-scene’ design and wide range of amenities, including extensive parking and accessibility features, provide a hassle-free and safe experience.
The presence of a curio shop, as well as surfing shops, further enhances the center’s appeal, offering visitors the opportunity to peruse unique and locally crafted items. Whether looking for a special souvenir, surf gear, or a piece of art, the curio shop and surfing shops add to the diverse range of offerings available for visitors to enjoy.
- Address: Main Road, Dolphin Coast, 4420, South Africa.
- Phone: 032 946 8540
- Activities: Shopping at high-end boutiques and surf shops, dining at various restaurants and delis, exploring the unique ‘street-scene’ shopping environment
- Recommended for: Tourists seeking a unique shopping experience that blends luxury and local culture in a safe, easily accessible environment
- Recommendation: Make sure to pop into the SuperSpar or Woolworths to experience grocery shopping like a local. All shops within the centre are thoughtfully connected with lovely cobbled walkways, enhancing the overall experience.
7. Clarke Bay
Clarke Bey in Ballito presents the ideal tourist destination with its exceptional blend of relaxation and adventure. Home to the exquisite Ballito Lifestyle Centre, tourists get to experience a unique shopping experience. High-end boutiques, surf shops, and an array of eateries, including a coffee boutique, portraying local culture beautifully amalgamate luxury with authenticity. An exceptional ‘street-scene’ design coupled with extensive parking facilities ensures a hassle-free and safe experience, making the destination highly appealing. What’s more, Clarke Bey in Ballito has also garnered rave reviews on TripAdvisor for its exceptional offerings, making it an even more sought-after destination for travelers.
- Address: Compensation Beach Rd, Ballito, Dolphin Coast, 4399, South Africa
- Phone: +27 32 586 1218
- Activities: Shopping at high-end boutiques and surf shops, dining at various restaurants and delis, exploring the unique ‘street-scene’ shopping environment
- Recommended for: Tourists seeking a unique shopping experience that blends luxury and local culture in a safe, easily accessible environment
- Recommendation: Make sure to pop into the SuperSpar or Woolworths to experience grocery shopping like a local. All shops within the Centre are thoughtfully connected with lovely cobbled walkways, enhancing the overall experience.
8. Enjoy a microlight flight with Comefly
Comefly With Us in Ballito offers an unforgettable experience for every tourist looking for a unique adventure. Situated adjacent to the Shell Ultra City N2 Northbound Mvoti, the trip is a comfortable journey from any part of the KwaDukuza region. Not only does this place offer breathtaking views of the majestic Indian Ocean, but you are also introduced to the world of aerial sports in a fun and safe environment. One of the thrilling activities you can enjoy is a microlight flip, which provides an exhilarating experience and a bird’s-eye view of the stunning surroundings. Additionally, you can fly microlights and immerse yourself in the joy of soaring through the skies.
- Address: Adjacent Shell Ultra City N2 Northbound Mvoti, Groutville, KwaDukuza, 4449
- Contact Number: 084 266 3359
- Activities: Paragliding, Tandem flights, License Courses
- Recommended For: Adventure seekers, Sports enthusiasts, Nature lovers, Solo travelers, Group travelers
- Recommendations: Don’t miss the Tandem flights for the thrilling bird-eye view of the stunning coastline and the amazing sunset. Remember to take a pre-flight training session for a seamless flying experience.
Mozambik in Ballito is an undeniable attraction for tourists, presenting an unmissable opportunity to dive into the mouthwatering world of Afro-Porto cuisine. With an inviting ambiance reminiscent of Mozambican islands, the dining experience comes alive with an ensemble of authentic cuisines and cocktails, amid pleasant tropical vibes. Visitors can relish the distinctive flavors of fresh seafood, spicy chicken, lip-smacking steak, perfectly accented with African spices and herbs, or unwind in the warm Mozambican sunset with sublime cocktails in-hand.
- Address: located on the Dolphin Coast
- Phone: +27 32 946 0979
- Activities: Enjoy delectable Afro-Porto cuisine, relish a diverse range of cocktails, unwind in a distinct beach bar ambiance, bask in the tropical vibes
- Recommended for: Food enthusiasts, cocktail lovers, those seeking a unique dining experience, people interested in Afro-Porto culture
- Recommendation: Don’t miss out on trying the spicy chicken and their signature cocktails; Caipirinha and Sangrias. Always reserve a table in advance to secure the best spot, especially during peak tourist season.
10. Chaka’s Rock
Chaka’s Rock in Ballito offers an unmatched blend of natural beauty, historical intrigue, and marine diversity, honing its appeal for tourists worldwide. As an attraction named after the famous Zulu chief, King Shaka, it promises both beach luxury and encounters with history. The stunning enclave of the Rock features an incredibly clear and tranquil tidal pool, teeming with aquatic life and perfect for swimming or casual snorkeling. Visit nearby KwaDukuza for additional historical landmarks dating back to the 19th century.
- Address: 68 Ocean Dr, Shaka’s Rock, Dolphin Coast, 4420, South Africa
- Phone: +27 32 525 5008
- Activities: Swimming, snorkeling, historical exploration, marine life observation
- Recommended for: Nature lovers, history enthusiasts, snorkelers, swimmers
- Recommendation: Don’t miss the chance to snorkel in the mesmerizing tidal pool and observe the sea urchins nestled among the rocks. Make sure to visit the nearby town of KwaDukuza for a deeper dive into the early 19th-century history associated with King Shaka.
11. Secrets Health, Beauty & Day Spa
Tourists flock to Secrets Health, Beauty, & Day Spa in Ballito for good reason. It’s not simply a place for relaxation, but a holistic haven designed to revitalize body, mind, and spirit. Set against the breathtaking views of the ocean, it is a place where indigenous ingredients meet luxurious treatments. Whether you are looking for a beautiful escape, a complete pampering session, an exhilarating scuba dive, or an spa experience, Secrets Spa offers it all, presenting an oasis of calm and tranquility amidst the bustling life outside.
- Address: Shop 7, Gregory Park, 14 Garlicke Dr, Ballito, Dolphin Coast, 4399, South Africa
- Phone: +27 64 379 5663
- Activities: Massages, Facials, Manicures and pedicures, Waxing/tinting, Body scrubs, and Spa packages.
- Recommended for: Those seeking a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of life. Individuals desiring a complete rejuvenating spa experience
- Recommendation: Do not miss the intimate experience of the calming couples ‘massage and the revitalizing TheraVine facial treatments. These are a must for anyone seeking an indulgent, nourishing, and tension-relieving experience.
12. Ballito Brewing Company
The Ballito Brewing Company is not only a haven for anyone who values a carefully crafted drink but also a coffee boutique and a coffee roastery. Located in Ballito, it’s perfect for tourists who want to explore South Africa’s burgeoning craft beer scene and indulge in artisanal coffee in depth.
Here, brews and roasted coffee beans are developed with love and patience, each with its quirkinest flavors like the Dingaans Lager, the Bohemian Pilsner, or the Ballito Olde English Ale. Not only beer lovers, but also those who prefer gin and tonic or artisanal coffee can find drinks to their liking. A tour led by the diligent brewer, Gary, introduces visitors to the fascinating world of craft brewing and the art of coffee roasting.
- Address: Unit 13, Canton Park, R102, Shakashead, Durban
- Phone: 032 032 0200
- Activities: Craft beer brewing and tasting, guided brewery tours, gin and tonic tasting.
- Recommended for: Craft beer enthusiasts, gin and tonic lovers, those interested in brewing processes, tourists looking to explore the local drinks scene.
- Recommendations: Try their unique brews like the Dingaans Lager or the Bohemian Pilsner. Also, don’t miss the opportunity to embark on a fascinating brewery tour with Gary, the diligent brewer and plant manager. Don’t go without trying their best craft beers and craft Gin & tonics!
13. Adventure Valley Ballito
Adventure Valley Ballito tops the bucket list for tourists searching for a unique blend of adrenaline-filled adventures and serene natural beauty. Just 15km inland from Ballito, it offers arresting views of the Indian Ocean encapsulated with heart-throbbing zipline tours, trampolines, and unparalleled scuba diving experiences among other activities. Its strategic positioning near the Sampoya river brings tranquility, enriching the adventurous experiences with nature’s soothing touch. For those who enjoy paddling, Adventure Valley Ballito also offers scenic paddling opportunities on the Sampoya river.
- Address: Adventure Valley, Hopewell Farm No. 1369, Esenembe Road, Ballito
- Phone: 032 942 8014
- Activities: Zip-lining tour, Parazip, Scuba Diving Training
- Recommended for: Adventure enthusiasts, nature lovers, and families.
- Recommendation: Don’t miss the Zipline tour for its unique Parazip element and the Scuba Diving Training at Ballito’s first 800,000-liter pool.
14. Ndlondlo Reptile Park
Ndlondlo Reptile Park in Ballito is a must-see attraction for tourists. Not only does the park offer an educational and adventurous day out with its plethora of species including 15 species of indigenous snakes like black mamba, green mamba, reticulated python and anacondas, but it also provides a unique platform to gain understanding about these often misunderstood reptiles. The park offers guided tours led by expert handlers and organizes children’s parties for a complete family experience.
- Address: X1 Esenembi Rd, Compensation, Dolphin Coast, 4391, South Africa
- Phone: +27 82 561 4969
- Activities: Viewing a host of indigenous snake species, immersive guided tours, children’s parties
- Recommended for: Reptile enthusiasts, families seeking an educational and exciting outing, curious tourists keen on exploring unique attractions
- Recommendation: Pack a picnic and plan to spend a few hours at the park to fully experience all it has to offer. Enjoy the garden area with a cup of tea while your children learn and explore. Don’t miss the impressive python tank!
Family run small reptile sanctuary and exhibit. We had a personal guided tour through the exhibit which is a work in progress. It was super interesting and informative and their passion for snakes and other reptiles is inspiring.Elizabeth P at TripAdvisor
15. Umhlali Country Club
Umhlali Country Club, residing in the picturesque Dolphin Coast of Ballito, exhibits an enticing fusion of resort and sports club comforts, making it the finest location for tourists. From having teed off as a modest nine-hole golf course in 1961, the club was given a complete overhaul in 2006, morphing into a stunning 18-hole golf course. Its offerings extend beyond golf, shedding its radiance on an array of sports and recreational facilities, including the canelands beach club. With its verdant landscapes and flexible event venues, it also wins the heart of individuals seeking conference and wedding venues.
- Address: Compensation Beach Rd, Umhlali, on the Dolphin Coast in South Africa with the postal code 4390
- Phone: +27 32 947 1181
- Activities: Golfing, Bowling, Squash Courts, Swimming, Tennis
- Recommended for: Sports enthusiasts, holidaymakers, event planners, families
- Recommendation: Don’t miss out on the world-class golf course, enjoy a range of sports facilities, and cherish the scenic beauty of the surrounding landscape.
16. Flag Animal Farm
Visiting the Flag Animal Farm in Ballito is a riveting experience that allows tourists to immerse themselves in a haven for over 1,000 rescued animals, including rabbits. For 16 years, this award-winning farm has been a sanctuary for over 13,500 creatures, making it a heartwarming sight for any traveler. Aside from being a refuge, the farm presents a range of activities such as petting and playing with various animals, learning how to milk a cow, enjoying a pirate ship, exploring an indoor play centre, navigating an obstacle course, and even spending time with adorable rabbits.
Additionally, visitors can also go for delightful pony rides, adding to the magical experience of the farm. A visit to the farm not only brings joy but also helps support the noble cause of rescuing animals in need.
- Address: Sheffield Beach Road in Durban, South Africa
- Contact: 032-9472018/20
- Activities: Petting and playing with animals, milking a cow, exploring an indoor play center, pirate ship, reptile room, obstacle course
- Recommended for: Families, animal lovers, eco-tourists
- Recommendation: Don’t miss the chance to explore the reptile room and also try their delicious deli and coffee shop. Consider adopting a pet or donating to support the farm’s mission. If your family loves animals and wants to support the mission of rescuing and protecting animals, the Flag Animal Farm would be an unforgettable experience.
17. Zimbali Country Club
Zimbali Country Club, located in the breathtaking countryside of Ballito, is a tourist’s paradise, merging majestic inland with captivating coastal golfing. Crafted by ex-British Open champion, Tom Weiskopf, the club delivers an unforgettable golfing experience, enhanced by the dynamic design of its 18-hole course. Nestled amid the abundant wild and bird life of Zimbali’s Coastal Estate, the club packs each game with excitement and intrigue. Whether you are a golf professional or a novice, the stunning sea views, holes within the forest, and wildlife encounters make Zimbali Country Club, also known as Simbithi Country Club, a must-visit in Ballito.
- Address: R627, Zimbali Coastal Estate, Dolphin Coast, 4399
- Phone: +27 32 538 1041
- Activities: Golfing, wildlife viewing, birdwatching
- Recommended for: Golf enthusiasts, nature lovers, and birdwatchers
- Recommendation: Book your visit to the Zimbali Country Club in Ballito well in advance, especially during the busy seasons. A five-star rating based on 218 reviews is a testament to the unparalleled experience the place offers.
18. Princes Grant Golf Course
Capitalize on the opportunity to play on one of South Africa’s premier golf courses and escape to the scenic locale of the Prince’s Grant Golf Course in Ballito. Known for its unmatched ocean views and superior playing conditions, this award-winning 18-hole links-style golf course with its well-maintained fairways alone makes it a top-ranking destination for tourists. With elevation changes, strategically placed bunkers, and top-quality greens, Prince’s Grant guarantees an exciting challenge for both professional and hobbyist golfers alike. Beyond golf, it also extends to fitness enthusiasts with its fully equipped gym and professional trainers.
- Address: 1 Babu Bodasing Avenue, New Guelderland, KwaDukuza, 4480
- Phone: +27 32 482 0041
- Activities: Golfing at a top-ranked course, Fitness training in a fully functional gym
- Recommended for: Tourists who are serious golfers, hobbyist golfers or beginners, and fitness enthusiasts
- Recommendation: Tourists are advised to secure their tee time ahead, primarily during peak seasons. Make sure to take advantage of the state-of-the-art gym present at the estate. For detailed information, reaching out via email at email@example.com is suggested.
19. Umlalazi Nature Reserve
Tourist seeking natural tranquility and a diverse ecosystem, Umlalazi Nature Reserve in Ballito serves as a perfect escape. It’s a captivating marine-filled environment, offering panoramic views of lagoons, forests, and beaches, including Umhlanga Beach. The reserve homes exotic birds and cycad species found nowhere else but here and Mozambique. Climate conscious hikers can explore trails among mangrove trees in the mangrove swamps and coastline, abuzz with small animals. Embrace an unforgettable family day with canoe tours, boating, fishing, or just a picnic on their grounds.
- Address: Kingfisher Rd, Mtunzini, 3867, South Africa
- Phone: +27 35 580 1022, +27 (0)353401836
- Activities: Hiking, Bird-Watching, Canoeing, Photography, Fishing, Boating
- Recommended for: Nature Enthusiasts, Birders, Wildlife Photographers, Hikers, Families
- Recommendation: Since the reserve is a popular destination, particularly during holiday seasons
20. Stellenbosch University
Stellenbosch University is a perfect destination for tourists interested in history, culture, and academia. Located in South Africa’s wine-estate town, it stands as an age-old monument symbolizing academic excellence and historic grandeur dating back to 1866. Over 30,000 students from varied nationalities echo its global charm, while the noteworthy faculties reflect its pursuit of diverse knowledge. Besides the strong academic atmosphere, the university offers state-of-the-art facilities, vibrant student societies, and numerous cultural activities. The enriching environment makes it a perfect blend of education, history, and entertainment. Additionally, the university also offers barista courses, adding another dimension to the diverse range of experiences available to visitors.
- Address: Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
- Phone: +27 21 808 9111
- Activities: Explore the historic campus, attend cultural events, participate in student societies, take a virtual tour of the university, enjoy the state-of-the-art facilities.
- Recommended for: History buffs, education enthusiasts, cultural explorers, and architectural appreciators.
- Recommendation: Don’t miss out on the virtual campus tour to familiarize yourself with the university’s uniqueness and diverse offerings.
21. Holla Trails
The Holla Trails in Ballito are the top choice for thrill-seeking tourists due to several reasons. Firstly, the trail network encompasses diverse terrain, providing over 340km of routes that cater to both beginners and experienced mountain bikers. Secondly, the trails offer exceptional views and beautiful landscapes, creating an immersive nature experience. Despite potential challenges like encountering farm animals and navigating the extensive trail system, the excitement and appeal of Holla Trails make it an essential attraction in Ballito.
Moreover, those seeking even more excitement can enjoy quad bike rides provided by Holla Trails, which adds a distinctive and exhilarating element to the adventure. Tourists can ride quad bikes through the stunning natural surroundings along the trail system, enhancing the thrill of the experience. The combination of thrilling trails and the added fun of quad bike rides truly makes Holla Trails a memorable destination in Ballito.
- Address: Esenembe Rd, Dolphin Coast, 4420, South Africa
- Phone: Trail Master – (074) 897 8559, Desk – (082) 899 3114 – +27 32 947 1465
- Activities: Mountain biking, nature watching, fitness tracking, and photography
- Recommended for: Tourists seeking for adventure and a unique outdoor experience, fitness enthusiasts, mountain bikers, and nature lovers
- Recommendations: Visitors are encouraged to try the varying difficulty levels of the trails for a complete experience. The Holla Trail Centre housed by Collisheen Estates should not be missed for a cozy retreat post-ride. And it wouldn’t hurt to have a good navigation app handy to enjoy the vast trail network seamlessly.
22. Tidal Tao Snorkeling Safaris
Tidal Tao Snorkelling Safaris, nestled in the picturesque Ballito, guarantees the ultimate aquatic adventure for tourists. With over 150 species of reef fish and spectacular marine life awaiting beneath the clear Indian Ocean waters, it’s an underwater paradise full of vibrant coral reefs, fascinating rock pools, and exotic creatures like the Nudibranch.
Safety, environmental responsibility, and the protection of tortoises are core to Tidal Tao, ensuring a secure, eco-conscious exploration for all, from first-timers to skilled snorkelers. With the inclusion of top-notch bather safety gear, Tidal Tao, also serving as a scuba diving training centre, also prioritizes the well-being and security of its guests. Captivating by both day and night, it offers an experience that blends adrenaline, beauty, and educational conservation.
- Address: CNR Ocean Drive and Old Main Road, Shaka’s Rock Beach, Dolphin Coast KZN, South Africa
- Contact: (079) 307 0608
- Activities: Snorkeling Safaris, Marine life exploration, Conservation education sessions
- Recommended for: Adventurous tourists, families with kids aged 6 and above, first-time snorkelers
- Recommendation: Check the website Tidal Tao for pricing details and book your snorkeling safari for an unforgettable underwater adventure. With a 5-star rating based on 453 reviews, Tidal Tao guarantees not just a thrilling experience, but also a commitment to safety and environmental responsibility.
23. Ballito Promenade
The Ballito Promenade, located on Dolphin Coast, is a must-visit destination for tourists seeking an authentic coastal experience. This stunning 2.5km promenade boasts a panoramic view of the Indian Ocean, an atmosphere infused with nature’s wonders and the warm sense of local community. The gorgeous coastline offers plenty of reasons for a visit, whether it’s running in the early morning light, watching playful dolphins, a picnic in the Pine Tree park, taking a serene mangrove walk, or whale watching during migration season. This will undoubtedly be an unforgettable experience for any tourist.
- Address: Ballito, Dolphin Coast
- Activities: Walking, jogging, picnicking, sunbathing, surfing, dog walking, whale watching
- Recommended for: Tourists seeking scenic outdoor experiences, families, runners, beachgoers
- Recommendation: It is highly recommended to visit the Ballito Promenade in the early morning to enjoy the warm light of sunrise, the sight of dolphins playing in the waves, and to make the most of its peaceful ambiance.
24. Tinley Manor Beach
Tinley Manor Beach, situated in the quiet area of Tinley Manor, just north of Ballito, is the perfect destination for tourists who seek tranquillity and natural beauty. This beach is less crowded, allowing visitors to enjoy its pristine surroundings in peace. It is renowned for its lagoon, making it ideal for family outings. The clear waters are safe for kids to swim in, and at low tide, beach combing becomes an enjoyable activity. This beach isn’t just about leisure; it’s also famous for beach games and fishing, and has designated zones for swimmers and surfers.
Another popular attraction in the area is the Canelands Beach Club, where visitors can relax and unwind while enjoying great food and drinks with stunning ocean views.
- Location: Headlands, Dolphin Coast, South Africa
- Activities: Swimming, Beach Games, Fishing, Sun-Bathing, and Picnicking
- Recommended for: Families, Solo Travelers, Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Recommendation: Enjoy a relaxed day at Tinley Manor Beach regardless of what season it is. It’s a perfect spot for swimming, fishing, picnicking or simply lazing around and soaking up the sun.
25. Cappeny Estate
Immerse yourself in a unique agricultural tourism experience at Cappeny Estate in Ballito, a 17-hectare “Strawberry Wonderland”. This family-run farm, lauded for its eco-friendly practices, lets you hand-pick succulent strawberries from their lush sugarcane fields. With everything from strawberry-infused products to a quaint café and kids’ play area, you’re guaranteed a fun-filled, authentic farm visit. And if you’re in need of a caffeine boost, you can also visit the burnedal farm coffee shop located on the premises.
- Address: D176 District Road, Off Esenembe Rd ,Compensation, Compensation, Dolphin Coast, 4399, South Africa
- Phone: +27 32 815 1168
- Activities: Strawberry picking, shopping for unique strawberry-based products, dining at the farm café, kids’ play area
- Recommended for: Families, nature lovers, foodies, environmentally conscious travelers
- Recommendations: Make the most of your visit during the strawberry harvest season between September and December. Remember to bring sun hats, sunscreen, and water bottles. Keep an eye out for their exquisite range of strawberry-infused vinegar, balsamic reductions, jams, and dried strawberries.
26. Catfish Beach
Catfish Beach in Ballito makes a splendid escape for tourists seeking a serene getaway sprinkled with aquatic adventures. Nestled away from crowded attractions, this waterfront paradise attracts due to its calm waters, stunning seascapes, and interesting marine life. For those who yearn for tranquility and outdoor fun, it’s an unparalleled haven. Whether you’re an amateur surfer lured by great waves or a family seeker looking for safe tidal pools for your kiddos, Catfish Beach caters to all. Additionally, Catfish Beach is also a popular destination for surfing competitions.
Avid surfers from around the globe gather here to showcase their skills and compete in thrilling battles against the waves. The adrenaline-fueled atmosphere during these competitions is truly unmatched, making it an unforgettable experience for both participants and spectators alike.
- Location: Catfish Beach, Shakas Rock, Dolphin Coast
- Contact: There is no specific contact number for the public beach
- Activities: Boating, Surfing, Snorkeling, Lounging, and splashing in the shallow tidal pools.
- Recommended for: Families with children, tourists seeking tranquility, boating enthusiasts, surfers, snorkelers, and general outdoor enthusiasts.
- Recommendation: A peaceful family day out is best enjoyed here. Best to visit during early mornings or at sunset to capture stunning vistas. Don’t forget to pack your sunscreen and beware of hidden sea urchins amongst the rocks.
27. Crocodile Creek
Crocodile Creek and Umgeni River Bird Park in Ballito are highly popular among adventurous tourists and wildlife enthusiasts. These attractions serve as safe havens for over 10,000 crocodile species and a variety of stunning birds, offering a unique experience for animal lovers. They provide a comprehensive and memorable day immersed in nature, with engaging educational sessions, lively celebrations, a café, and unexpected discoveries. Located amidst a lush coastal bush with breathtaking views of the Utongati River flood plain, these wildlife refuges are a must-visit destination in South Africa for an exciting and unforgettable adventure at the umgeni river mouth.
- Address: 77 Greylands Rd, Greylands, Thongathi, 4380, South Africa
- Phone: +27 32 940 4444
- Activities: Observing and interacting with crocodiles and rescued animals, Educational sessions, Celebration areas, Café/Restaurant
- Recommended for: Animal lovers, Adventure seekers, Kids, Families
- Recommendation: Plan a visit to Crocodile Creek for a memorable hands-on experience with nature’s captivating creatures. Keep an eye on their website Crocodile Creek for additional details.
28. Umhlanga Lighthouse
The Umhlanga Ridge Lighthouse, an iconic sight on the famed Dolphin Coast, promises a memorable experience for Ballito tourists. Known for its striking, candy-striped appearance, this 21-meter high lighthouse stands proudly along the picturesque Umhlanga Ridge coastline. Since 1954, it has guided numerous vessels with its potent rotating optic lens lighting up the perilous path to the Durban harbor. Without a keeper, this unique lighthouse, remotely controlled, adds to the charm of the region. Its walkway, leading to a fashionable assortment of cafes and restaurants, is a hot spot among tourists, giving them a well-rounded experience.
- Location: Umhlanga, Durban North Coast
- Phone: +27 31 566 6796
- Activities: Exploring lighthouse, beach walk, photogenic hot-spot, food and beverage options nearby.
- Recommended for: Tourists, photography enthusiasts, foodies, maritime history buffs.
- Recommendations: Capture the full glory of the lighthouse by visiting during the evening hours. Don’t miss this chance to create lasting memories on your visit to the beautiful Dolphin Coast.
29. uShaka Marine World
uShaka Marine World in Ballito is indeed a top-tourist magnet for many compelling reasons. Its prime location at the end of Durban’s beautiful Golden Mile accentuates its charm. Imagine a vast space covering over 16 hectares of stunning beachfront park; it’s no wonder it distinguishes itself as Africa’s most notable marine attraction. Apart from housing the world’s fifth-largest aquarium, this marine wonderland provides a plethora of stimulating experiences centered on the marvels of marine life, including captivating shark exhibits.
Whether you wish to snorkel, tour the phantom ship, or immerse yourself with marine creatures as an ocean-walker, uShaka won’t disappoint. Have a face-off with ragged-tooth sharks in the Xpanda Shark Dive or enjoy exhilarating water rides. It’s not all about water, though. The park also caters to land-lovers with its recreation of a 1920s shipwreck and lovely freshwater bodies. Don’t worry, the park ensures safety with its shark nets in place to safeguard visitors.
- Address: 1 King Shaka Ave, Point, Durban, 4001, South Africa
- Phone: +27 31 328 8000
- Key Attractions: The world’s fifth-largest aquarium, Snorkel Lagoon, the phantom ship, the X panda Shark Dive, the Ocean walkers Experience, a recreation of a 1920s shipwreck, adrenaline-fueled water rides, and stunning freshwater bodies.
- Recommended for: Families, adventure-seekers, marine life enthusiasts, and anyone looking for a fun, educational, and thrilling day out.
- Recommendation: With its 4.4k reviews and 4-star rating, the uShaka Marine World guarantees an unforgettable adventure. For a seamless experience, prospective visitors are advised to check their website uShaka Marine World and book in advance to organize their visit effectively.
30. Litchi Orchard Market
The Litchi Orchard Market in Ballito offers an unbeatable aesthetic and vibrant experience for tourists. Set amidst an authentic litchi farm, the market proffers a unique blend of food, art, and the charm of country living. Tourists can relish in a delightful variety of local arts, crafts, and specialty food shops, including the popular Waterberry Coffee Shop and coffee roasters. The market also hosts regular seasonal night markets, where visitors can enjoy live music and delectable local food under a blanket of enchanting fairy lights.
- Address: Seaforth Drive, Umhlali, KZN
- Phone: +27 32 866 0187
- Activities: Exploring local arts and crafts, specialty food shopping, pottery and art studios, dining at local eateries, Muddy Boots Garden Centre, and seasonal night markets featuring live music and food.
- Recommended for: Foodies, Art lovers, and those looking to immerse themselves in local culture
- Recommendation: Experience the uniquely captivating blend of country living and artistic flair offered by the Litchi Orchard. Don’t forget to attend the atmospheric night markets. Always check their website for updates on times and events.
Explore the wonders of Ballito and uncover more travel treasures through Visit Wander, your ultimate destination for insightful travel guides and adventures beyond. Discover more at Visit Wander!
Frequently Asked Questions about Ballito
What are Must-See Activities in Ballito?
Ballito offers various must-see activities for tourists. Some highlights include visiting magnificent beaches for dolphin and whale watching, enjoying microlight flights, gambling at casino facilities, shopping at flea markets and indulging in exceptional dining. For golfing enthusiasts, nearby golf alternatives like Zimbali, Prince’s Grant, Umhlali and Mount Edgecombe are recommended. Additionally, if you’re a member of the Ballito Inflatable Boat Club, you can also enjoy thrilling adventures on the water with their inflatable boats.
Where Can I Have the Best Meal in Ballito?
The top restaurant in Ballito is Mozambik where you can enjoy Afro-Porto cuisine. The establishment offers a robust menu with relaxing beachfront views. You can enjoy your meal while sipping cocktails with your feet nestled in the sand. Mozambik is renowned for its hearty and flavorful meals.
Which are the prominent wildlife reserves around Ballito?
The most notable wildlife reserve near Ballito is the Harold Johnson Nature Reserve, situated to the north of Ballito. It is home to diverse bird species and wildlife such as bushbuck, zebra, and impala. The reserve also harbours historical links to the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879 with Fort Pearson and the Ultimatum Tree within its precincts.
In conclusion, Ballito is a stunning coastal town teeming with a wealth of activities for everyone. Be it engaging in water sports at the beach, seeing the Bottlenose dolphins, exploring the local flora and fauna, or savoring the local cuisine- Ballito truly offers a versatile holiday experience. With a blend of adventure and relaxation, each visit to Ballito promises an unforgettable vacation. For more specific details on the area, feel free to reach out to the detailed resources mentioned above.